DFSMShsm Implementation training course prepares attendees to implement and manage DFSMShsm (DFSMS hierarchical storage manager). They will learn to automate the storage management tasks, which optimize DASD space utilization and provide data availability. They will be taught basic DFSMShsm terminology and concepts, and will examine the functions and interfaces used to tailor DFSMShsm processing to meet the installation’s storage management requirements.
By attending DFSMShsm Implementation workshop, attendees will learn to:
- Understand the relationship between DFSMShsm and DFSMS and get a description of the functions of DFSMShsm and its operating environment
- Understand the DFSMShsm activities for Primary and Secondary Space Management and setup the required configuration for automatic space management
- Authorize special users for DFSMShsm commands and perform space management functions using authorized DFSMShsm commands
- Understand the DFSMShsm activities for Availability Management and setup the required configuration for automatic availability management
- Implement the Automatic Backup and Recovery Support (ABARS), and perform data set and volume management using authorized DFSMShsm commands
- Understand DFSMShsm processing in large systems
- Understand recovery using ABARS, recovery from data set or volume loss, recovery of control data sets and journals
- Use the AUDIT command to detect and fix discrepancies and the LIST, QUERY and FIXCDS commands to correct error situations
- Manage and monitor DFSMShsm using log data sets and statistical information as well as manage DFSMShsm tapes
Familiar with the basic concepts of data storage systems and storage management activities. This knowledge can be acquired by attending the following two courses:
Equivalent experience may be substituted for these courses.
This course is for Storage Administrators who are new to using DFSMShsm.