The OpenVMS Programming training course is intended to quickly bring the application programmer up to speed in an OpenVMS environment. The scope of material is fairly broad from basic compiling to advanced system services. Although some of the material will be provided as an exposure to capabilities available to the programmer, it is expected that the Participants will be able to program at an in depth level upon completion of this Program. The Program covers the following categories: General Programming, Synchronization, File System and RMS, Processes and Scheduling, and Memory Management.
The OpenVMS Programming workshop is designed to take a programmer with basic understanding of a programming language and provide the foundations to take advantage of all available features of the OpenVMS operating system. Participants will learn to:
- Compile and link a program
- Read listing and map files
- Understand how to call system procedures, including system services and run-time library routines
- Create a process
- Communicate with another process
- Synchronize using event flags, mailboxes, global sections, and locks
Participants should have a fundamental understanding of OpenVMS System concepts and should be familiar with C, FORTRAN, COBOL, or BASIC programming languages, including the use of data structures.
- OpenVMS Application and System Programmers